Treatment for Breast Cancer
- IBN Sina Medicare
Pre Procedure of Treatment for Breast Cancer
To begin with the doctor would like to know:
- The type of breast cancer
- The size and extent of the tumor to determine the stage
- Age and over all health
The details will determine your line of treatment.
During the Treatment for Breast Cancer
The most common treatments for breast cancer are:
- Surgery. first and foremost is to take out the tumor. The part of the breast which has cancer is removed by operation called lumpectomy. Mastectomy is a process where doctors remove the whole breast. One needs tp know the pros and cons of both types of surgery.
- Radiation. use of high-energy waves to kill cancer cells. Post lumpectomy most women under the age of 70 undergo radiation.
- Chemotherapy. post surgery drugs are given either through pills or IV to kill any cancer cells. It is at time also given to reduce the size of the tumor.
- Hormone therapy. it is used to block the growth of hormones like estrogen and progesterone that can make cancer cells to grow.
- Targeted therapy. it is given through drugs and inhibit changes in the cells that can lead to cancer. It has less side effects than chemo.
Post Procedure of Treatment for Breast Cancer
One needs regular follow ups and check-ups after treatment for breast cancer. It will ensure that any changes in your health will be noted and treated. Regular check ups include:
- examining of neck , chest, underarm and breast area.
- Followed by regular mammograms.
Risks & Complications of Treatment for Breast Cancer
Side effects are common in most breast cancer treatments like:
- hair loss
- mouth sores
- Symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes
- Difficulty in becoming pregnant
- Disturbed sleeping
- Changes in the breast