- IBN Sina Medicare
Symptoms of Ovarian Cancer
- Abdominal bloating
- Indigestion or nausea
- a feeling of fullness or loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Discomfort in the pelvis area
- Changes in bowel movement, such as constipation
- A frequent need to urinate
- Irregular or changes in menstruation
Causes of Ovarian Cancer
Ovarian cancer begins due to mutations in its DNA causing cancerous cells to grow and multiply quickly, forming a mass (tumor) of abnormal cells. The healthy cells are replaced by abnormal cells and they invade and continue to spread in the body.
Risk Factors of Ovarian Cancer
- Age. The chances of ovarian cancer increase post menopause. Especially in women over age 63.
- Pregnancies. decreases the risk. Breastfeeding too lowers the risk.
- Birth control pills. use of contraceptive pills for 3-6 months also reduces the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Fertility drugs. with the use of fertility drugs the risk increases.
- Breast cancer. in case one has breast cancer, it increases the chances to get ovarian cancer.
- Hormone therapy. HRT also increases the chances of ovarian cancer.
- Overweight and Obesity. women with BMO more than 30, increase the risk of ovarian cancer.
- Gynecologic surgery. Women who have been treated for example for hysterectomy reduces the chances of ovarian cancer.
- Endometriosis. Women who develop endometriosis are at a higher risk of ovarian cancer.