- IBN Sina Medicare
Symptoms of Gastric Bypass
- Body mass index (BMI) is above 40 or higher (chronic obesity).
- BMI is 35 to 39.9 (obesity), and have weight-related health problem, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or severe sleep apnea.
Gastric bypass surgery is for people willing to make permanent lifestyle changes. There is a long regular follow up with close monitoring of diet and lifestyle. Also one needs to under medical checkups ot be able to qualify for one.
Causes of Gastric Bypass
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Severe sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
Risk Factors of Gastric Bypass
- Age. Obesity can occur at any age. But as one age hormonal changes and lack of physical activity can lead to obesity.
- Unhealthy diet. intake of excessive amounts of unhealthy fats, carbohydrates, processed foods etc.
- Family history. if there is a family history of obesity, the risk increases.
- Inactivity. leading a sedentary lifestyle and consumption of high calories leads to obesity.
- Medical problems. in some cases there could be medical problems which lead to weight gain like lack of movement due to arthritis, thyroid etc.
- Medications. some medications leads to weight gain like antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, diabetes medications, antipsychotic medications, steroids and beta blockers.
- Pregnancy. Women find it difficult to loose post pregnancy weight.
- Quitting smoking. with quitting to smoke, one 's appetite goes up which can contribute to weight gain.
- Lack of sleep. lack of sleep increases the stress level and stress hormone which is directly responsible for increase in fat especially in the abdomen area.